In difficult economic times, the reaction of many businesses is to panic. Rather than cutting, dropping, and/or eliminating your product lines or services, think about how you can enhance them.
Examples of this line of thinking:
1. Enhance your purpose; rethink how you define it
2. Enhance your prospects; rethink where you find them
3. Enhance your public profile; rethink how you think of others
4. Enhance your business alliances; rethink how you slice up the pie
5. Enhance your client relationships; rethink how you talk with them
6. Enhance your services; rethink where you provide them
7. Enhance your tools; rethink what you create with them
8. Enhance your market; rethink the channels of revenue
9. Enhance your digital space; rethink how people use it
Before you toss one of the essentials of your business, give the most creative people in your organization a shot at rethinking the who, what, where, when and how. If you are about completely give up, bail out, or kick to the curb one of your products or services, go to the most positive, energetic person in the building (maybe the mail guy/girl) and ask them to pull out their 64 pack of Crayola Crayons and scribble as far outside the lines as they want.
When they are done, take off the glasses of the status quo and look closely at what they have come up with. You might be surprised at how they see value in what you were about to hit the delete button on!
If you would like to ask questions but would rather keep them confidential please indicate “Just between you and me” in your comment and I will keep your questions confidential. I have had several people contact me and I value your comments, thanks for keeping the conversation going!